Friday, April 13, 2012

When Work and Family Collide

The past few months, I've been in a tug-of-war between my work life and my home life. I strive for success in my job but, as is the title of this blog, I am logging for the tasks of home. So, when I saw Andy Stanley's latest, "When Work and Family Collide," I was understandably intrigued.

The book is a quick read, only about 135 pages, and it's divided into 2 parts. The first part lays out the issue and Stanley's suggested resolution. The second part uses Old Testament figure Daniel as an example of finding success in the workplace by properly caring for those at home.

As is typically the case with these types of book, nothing was all that revolutionary content-wise, with the possible definition of cheating as depriving something of its rightful place in your priorities. However, as is also typical in books like this, Stanley's examples and careful narrative reminds the reader that better alignment between work and home is achievable, and more importantly, critical.

I'll definitely be applying what I learned and I'd recommend this book to anyone trying to balance life inside and outside the home.

No comments: